Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sixth Sense

A couple of weeks ago, I had a morning where I didn't need to be at the office until 10 AM. I took advantage of the two extra hours by spending some time in the barn. I still had some time left and decided to hike the pine tree loop up through the cornfields.

I hadn't gotten very far when I saw two deer up eating in the cornfield. I snapped this picture with my phone, and they actually let me get quite a bit closer before they took off.


I've decided that wildlife (at least the wildlife in our corner of the world) have a sixth sense about when hunting season is. These deer seemed to know that hunting season had recently ended and they were perfectly safe to continue eating as I walked through the snow towards them. Although even if it had been hunting season, the deer would have been perfectly safe with me.

I'll take that statement a step further too. I think the geese (at least on our farm) recognize the hunters' trucks. If the guys are in the blinds at the Pine Tree, the geese are in the valley. If the guys head to the valley the next day, the geese are in front of the barn. When the season ends, there are geese everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment