Monday, December 10, 2012

We'll Be Singing....

When We're Sleeping?

This post is for all of you that have ever slept in the same camper at a horse show, or barn at a fair as me.

We'll start with the background information to the above statement. The year was 1996 - I was 16 years old and it was the weekend of the Tolland County 4-H Fair. My horse was one of two horses staying at the fair and I slept over in the barn with her. In the same barn were the beef cows and some turkeys. It should be noted here that I hate turkeys (and all poultry in general).

I woke up in the morning and was feeding my horse and all of that fun stuff when Mrs. Holden, who had been chaperoning us overnight in the barn, came back to the barn looking like she wanted to kill me. I said, "What did I do?!?" Natalie started laughing. Apparently sometime in the middle of the night I had started screaming bloody murder and woke everyone (except myself) up. Mrs. Holden said she nearly had a heart attack and asked what I had been dreaming about. All I could remember was feathers flapping. Damn turkeys.

Fast forward to 2008 and I repeat the same performance (minus the turkeys) in my friend's camper at Massachusetts Morgan Horse Show. Jill and Shannon were scared to death, I have no idea why I was screaming that time.

Two weeks earlier, in a different friend's camper at New England Morgan Horse Show, Jade woke up in the night to me trying to put the overcheck on a driving horse as it went to a class. Debbie laughed and said no one was showing at that time of night.

Despite the sleep deprivation, they've all stayed friends with me.

In my own defense, I was diagnosed with cancer a month after Massachusetts Morgan Horse Show in 2008. And it was at that same horse show that Jade (from the New England Morgan Horse Show camper) read me the riot act about doctors being wrong and that I was sick. Two years of misdiagnosis ended because she is a good friend. Apparently chemotherapy didn't help my odd sleep behavior though.

Twice in the last two weeks, I've woken myself up in the middle of the night; in mid-song. I have no idea why I am singing out loud in the middle of the night, but at least both were upbeat songs. And I guess it's better than waking up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacey, hoping everything is well and good. Glad to come across your wonderful blog. Love to see your wonderful place here. Perfect to have a great horse ride. Wishing you more singing at night:)

    ReplyDelete