Thursday, November 15, 2012

I'm Thankful For...

First Descents! If you have been on facebook lately (or been near any form of social media in the month of November), you notice all of the people posting about what they are thankful for. It's a very fitting month to do that, so I decided to join the crowd.

As you are all aware, First Descents provides life changing outdoor adventure camps for young adult cancer survivors. The friends I've made through FD and the experiences we've shared have been invaluable in mentally and spiritually recovering from cancer.

I didn't realize what a huge impact cancer had on me until I was further removed from diagnosis and treatment. Cancer and chemotherapy shook me to the core. Getting back to "who I was before cancer" was a tough road, and First Descents played an integral role in helping me find myself again. I am out living it again, and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to First Descents for helping to make that possible.

Through TeamFD, I'm once again going to pay it forward so another young adult cancer survivor can attend a First Descents program, by raising $1000. You've all been extremely generous donating to First Descents in the past, and I hope you will continue to support FD and the great programs they provide young adult cancer survivors.

If you want to donate to First Descents, you can visit my page, or donate to any of the other TeamFD members also on the website.

I wanted to do a fun TeamFD challenge, but since we're headed into the winter season in New England there aren't quite so many choices. One of the other girls on my FDX Patagonia fundraising team is running 350 miles by a certain date. I thought that would be a fun challenge, but wanted to add my own twist. Since equestrians are always talking about being as fit as our horses, but few of us actually are as fit as our horses, my challenge will be to spend as much time running as I do riding in December and January. I'll keep you updated on my blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment