Saturday, November 10, 2012

Book Review - The $80 Champion

When my sister picked me up from the airport after my trip to Peru, she gave me the book: The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired A Nation written by Elizabeth Letts. She had bought the book in an airport bookstore on a recent trip and really enjoyed it, so passed it along.

After a couple of pages, I was drawn into the story of Snowman and his owner Harry too. Harry immigrated to the U.S. from Holland after World War II and bought Snowman, a very sorry looking grey gelding, off the slaughter house truck. He used Snowman as a lesson horse at the girls boarding school where he taught and won the Show Jumping Triple Crown with him twice in the late 1950s.

What struck me more about the story was the heart that Snowman had - or as Harry put it - bottom. The horse had bottom and would jump courses 6 feet tall and win jump offs against younger horses with much more pampered lives. Harry and his family also had an incredible amount of love for Snowman, he was their horse and I always enjoy reading about people who have made their horse part of the family.

Find out more about the book at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment