Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bluff Point

I went to Bluff Point State Park in Groton last Saturday to check the parking lot and trails ahead of the Connecticut Morgan Horse Association’s Turkey Trot being held there this today. The sun was out, and despite the fact that it had snowed a few days earlier, the temperature was near 60.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to Bluff Point, at least not in my adult years, without a horse. I took this opportunity to go by myself and explore all of the foot trails that we ride by and say, “Huh, if we didn’t have our horses, we could go down there.”

There is also a sign at the foot of the beach that says equestrians are strongly discouraged from riding their horses on the beach. We always ride past this sign and take the horses out to introduce them to the waves, but if there are many people around, we don’t stay long. Since I didn’t have a horse, I stopped my watch when I got to the beach (I was running the trail), and walked out to the gull nesting area on the beach.

After the beach I explored a lot of the little trails and went out to the “point” where you can sit and watch the waves come in, and then I finished my run. The good news for the equestrians is that the trail is completely clear and we will be riding today. The good news for me was that I had a great day at the beach, and enjoyed one of our best state parks and all it has to offer.





No comments:

Post a Comment