Trail Ride Bucket List

Do you have a trail ride bucket list?

I've been thinking a lot about my trail ride bucket list lately. Endurance News had a feature, where a lot of riders sent in the endurance rides that are on their bucket lists. That started the thought process, and I started writing a list of places I want to ride.

Then, on the ECTRA yahoo group, someone mentioned that they condition their horses at the Otter Creek Trail System in New York. Someone else mentioned that Otter Creek was on their bucket list of places to ride their horse. I had never heard of Otter Creek and googled it - not a bad place to go riding!

But now I am really curious - what locations or rides are on your list?

Here are a few from my list:

1. Ring of Kerry, Ireland. John's registered name is Kerry Killarney (he came with the name, but I love it). I went to Ireland in college and loved it. Someday, I'm going back and doing this ride. Probably not on my horse though!


2. Biltmore, Asheville, North Carolina. Have you seen this place? Its in the mountains and is a beautiful estate - the house is huge. They hold an endurance ride here every year. Someday I would like to ride there, either for competition or pleasure.

3. Foxhunting in Virginia. I was invited to do this last fall, but said no because it was the same weekend as one of my favorite competitive rides in Vermont. I missed the Vermont ride after John leaped a stone wall and injured himself. Sometimes you can't win, Virginia is still on the list though and sooner or later I will get there.

4. Acadia National Park, Maine. I actually already did this, but it so lived up to the hype, that I want to do it again. We missed a lot of good views because of the fog. As we rode by certain spots, I recall Debbie saying, "This would be a great view if we could see it." We still saw lots of beautiful things, but a ride like this needs to be done twice. And maybe a third time in the fall, to take in the foliage!



5. The Big Horn Endurance Rides in Wyoming are supposed to be some of the prettiest rides around. I drove through Wyoming on my way to Reno, and I believe it. I always said that someday, I would go back. It doesn't necessarily need to be for an endurance ride though - even a horseback vacation with an outfitter like Blue Sky Sage would be a great way to explore the scenery more.

Five is probably enough for today. I'll post a few more on my bucket list another day. But more importantly, what is on your bucket list? And if not a trail ride - which shows and clinics are on your list?

Comments

  1. Me, I'd be happy to get to ride the AHA trail ride some time. They are currently doing two locations a year one in California and the other was Texas or OK this year, I think. I don't care where it is, as long as I get to do it.

    The big deal for me on my bucket list is to win a national title before I die. Maybe I should be content just to qualify and get to the show but I really believe my horse is good enough to win a prize and I want to do him justice someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to the trail ride and win a national title. Honestly, I had been thinking about going to Acadia for years, it was always in the back of my mind. It didn't really seem like a feasible place for me to go trail riding. Then in 2011, it just fell into place. I also agree with you on wanting to do your horse justice, I feel the same way about mine. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Circus

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Stopping to Help

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Know Where You're Going