Personal Training vs. Horse Training

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been doing a lot of running lately. I haven't seriously run in years (okay, lets be honest, since high school).

What is my motivation? A friend convinced me to be on the all First Descents camper team for the Colorado Relay at the end of August. This is going to take some serious training. I have been running since March and its going well.

I think my horses get a big kick out of watching me run instead of me riding them while they run. Payback time.

But getting serious about my personal training again has made me a better horse trainer. Or at least a more aware and understanding horse trainer.

Running is a serious cardiac workout, as is carrying a rider around at a trot or canter a serious cardiac workout for a horse. The more I run and adhere to my training program, the more I incorporate my running program into my horse's work program. They get more walk breaks. I am much more diligent about picking one thing to work on during a session and about how much time we spend working.

And then there are the times that I am so tired from running that I don't get to work my horses. They seem to particularly enjoy those days.

I think all of the running has increased my athletic ability and made me a better rider (or at least a more balanced one that the horse has to compensate for less). Overall, I think being more aware of my personal training has made life better for my horses :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Circus

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Stopping to Help

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Know Where You're Going