Saturday, June 11, 2011

Acadia

Three weeks have gone by, now might be a good time to finally sum up the Acadia 30 mile competitive trail ride.

Honestly, I didn't even think we would get there. Debbie picked John up on Thursday and took him to her house for the night. I drove up Friday morning after work, running a little late because of a new calf, after a few more delays, we were on the road. Good, only running three hours late so far.

We were making pretty good time in minimal traffic and enjoying the ride. Horses were quiet and everything was good. We were just crossing the bridge on 95, over the river that separates New Hampshire from Maine when we heard a loud "BAM" like a gunshot. Debbie and I looked at each other, this was not good.

I looked in the passenger side mirror and sure enough, one of the trailer tires was spewing rubber all over the highway. We eased off onto the shoulder, just off the bridge as traffic zoomed by us at 75 mph. We could see the "Welcome to Maine" sign, but we really weren't getting to Maine anytime soon. I jumped out and went and looked at the tire. Yes, definitely flat. We wanted to check the horses, but getting to them (as traffic whizzed by) was out of the question. Since there was an exit right in front of us, Debbie decided we would be much safer limping off to a gas station and ruining the rim than waiting for help where we were.

We got to a truck stop safely, the horses were fine and unfazed and the rim was not damaged.

Debbie has Triple A. While she talked to her husband, I called Triple A. They do not service horse trailers, so they gave me two numbers to call. The first one was disconnected.

A guy named Mike answered the second phone number.

I explained in detail where we were, which tire blew out, etc. When I finished my long explanation, this is the conversation we had:

Mike: "What do you want me to do about it?"

Stacey: "Triple A said to call you and you could come change the tire, we have the spare."

Mike: "I wouldn't even know where to begin, I own a tug boat company."

Stacey: "Are you serious? I'm really sorry I bothered you."

Mike: "Good luck?"

After we stopped laughing, Debbie went into the truck stop, got the phone number for a local truck repair guy, DJ was there in 1/2 an hour and we were back on the road.

I called US Rider (Triple A for horse trailers) and joined their membership, the next time this happens (knock on wood there is no next time) I will not be speaking with a tug boat company.

I tried calling the ride managers to let them know we would be really late, but only got home numbers, no cell phones since everyone was at Acadia. I really hoped they were used to people coming late :)

Onward we drove, for a really long time. Just when we thought we should be arriving at Acadia, we drove for another few hours.

When we finally got onto the island, we saw signs for the "Evacuation Route." At this point we were both so overtired, we found it pretty funny. Although we kind of wondered if it was some sort of sign that we should just go home.

It was just getting dark and we pulled into Wildwood Stables at Acadia National Park. The last two horses were vetting in. I went over to the ride manager and checked us in and she said we should vet in now, they might not let us vet in in the morning.

We pulled the horses off the trailer, let them eat a little grass while the other two were finishing and then vetted in. Neither horse stood very still for the hands on (can you blame them) but the vets complimented John's trot in. I trotted Angie in for Debbie, since I hadn't really explained this part of the process to her.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes...the trailering adventures. Glad you joined USRider. We've been members for 10 years and used them mostly for locking my keys in my car, but they did save us while hauling a full load cross country...They sent two tow trucks, took the truck to the dealer, horses to the stockyard, and us to a hotel. Great service. I look forward to your continuation. I have always wanted to carriage drive at Acadia but never made it while living on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete