Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pictures of Perspective






In November 2009, I had to go in the water with John (it was cold). After leading him through the pond, I rode through. Halfway through, he leaped up and sideways onto the Jersey barriers (large cement blocks) that created the pond and used them as a bridge to walk the rest of the way out.

I spent three days in March 2010 standing in a pond (it was cold) while he got over his dislike of water. Pictures two and three were taken after the three days were over.

On a training ride in April 2010 (the first picture) we confirmed he would no longer refuse to go in water, after finding a sinkhole in the pond at Goodwin State Forest.

Water is no longer an issue, but we do have some other things we are working on this spring!

2 comments:

  1. Horses and water are always an interesting challenge until they get used to it. I think it's cool that you led him in the beginning. I do that a lot myself when in difficult situations with a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I had to lead him, he is very smart and I let him get away with not going in the water once. BIG mistake, he remembered that day well. We were at a hunter pace the first day I led him (November) - he wouldn't follow the other horses, he wouldn't let us sandwich him, just stood there and refused. Since I wanted to compete in 25 mile rides, I figured I better start early - hence climbing in the pond in March. I sunk up over my waterproof boots in the pond and we moved to the stream, that is pictured. I think we both learned our lesson :)

    ReplyDelete