Older Than I Thought...

I noticed the stitching on the pommel of my saddle was coming undone last summer. I love that saddle. Its an all-purpose Stubben saddle. When my Aunt moved to Florida, she gave it to me. I have no idea how old it is, but I have gotten several saddles since then, and sold them all and returned to riding in this saddle.

Its the saddle I'm riding Secret in at the horse show. See the picture on the bottom of this blog.

Its the saddle I rode John in for 135 competitive trail miles last year, plus all of our conditioning rides.

I finally got it fixed. I took it to a friend's son, who is a master saddler and lives in Ashford. When I picked it up, I mentioned that I did not know how old it was, but that it was my favorite. Stuart told me that based on the shape of the pommel it was made in the 1930s or 1940s - they phased that pommel out in the 1940s. But he said the saddle was very well made, in great shape and he wasn't surprised it was my favorite.

It just proves (once again) that you don't always need the newest stuff to be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Circus

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Stopping to Help

Life Lessons from Ridecamp: Know Where You're Going