Friday, March 18, 2011

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I rode John around the farm yesterday. It was warm and the sun was shining, a perfect day for a ride. It was our second ride of the season.

Honestly, I am a bit shocked by how well he is behaving. Is this really my horse? We were wandering around the farm roads and I was holding the reins on the buckle (for you non-equestrians, basically this means I was holding the reins but I was not using them at all).

John was happy and attentive, looking around and walking in a relaxed frame. We stayed out of the fields because they were so wet, I rode down the road until we could connect to farm roads.

When we came across some large puddles in the road (it rained a lot on Wednesday) he walked right into them, stopped and drank from them. Now I am really not sure this is my horse! I used to coax him to drink at water stops last year and he usually didn't until the end of the ride.

I only planned to ride him for an hour so headed back towards the barn after about 45 minutes out. This is when my horse returned, turning the ride into a case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

He jigged and pranced down the road, I gathered up the reins and he arched his neck. He tried trotting, I wouldn't let him. Every time a car passed, he scooted underneath himself and hollowed his body towards the road (we didn't have this problem when we road out - he didn't care when cars passed).

By the time we got to Brendan's memorial (Brendan was a local teen who crashed his car right near one of our pastures in 2006 and died), John was raring to go. A car came up behind us with a squeeky belt and he began bucking in place. I stopped him and made him stand still and then we managed to walk semi-quietly down the last stretch of road to the barn. Yes, I found my horse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment