Sunday, November 21, 2010

Turkey Trot




Connecticut Morgan Horse Association had their Trail Ride and Turkey Trot at Bluff Point in Groton yesterday. Since I was helping with it, I wasn't going to take a horse. But my friend Debbie was driving all the way down from Massachusetts to ride with me.

I decided to throw perfectionism and super-organized trail ride thoughts to the wind and loaded the horse on the trailer instead.

I am really glad I did.

John was actually pretty awful for the first mile of the ride (well, I should qualify my definition of awful - he was dancing around between a park walk and a western jog). He had to sit on the trailer for about forty five minutes while I helped with registration and other things. Sitting and not being the center of attention never thrill John.

Debbie (riding Mini) and I headed out on the trail and John was spooking and dancing at everything. A leaf blew, there was a large rock on the side of the trail and his least favorite - lots of joggers. It was a windy day and we were on the shore, so you can imagine the "distractions". Mini, on her first trail ride in quite some time, followed John's lead. Luckily Debbie and I are used to this, so we rode it out. We trotted for a bit and they both settled in and were fine for the rest of the ride.

The last time I rode at Bluff Point was in the summer of 2009 and there were lots of people out on the bluff, so we did not take the horses out there. Horses are "discouraged" from going in or near the water, but it doesn't say you can't, so Debbie and I took them out on the Bluff anyway. This was John's first experience with waves and they were crashing into the shore. The wind was whipping around, the sand was soft and there was a carpet of shells to walk over before you got to the water. John got as far as standing at the edge of the water and watching the waves crash to shore. As the last bit of the wave came near him, he quickly backed away from the water. I didn't want him to get away with not going in the water, so I took him over to a small pool of water, protected from the waves by a lot of rocks and he stood in that.

The rest of the ride was great fun, with beautiful scenery. Debbie and I had a great time, riding along, making fun of each other and catching up on all sorts of things that have happened in the month since we last rode together.

Debbie took a few pictures with her cell phone and I have attached them here. I was taking pictures with a throw away camera since I forgot batteries for the digital camera, so it will be a few days before I get my act together and get them up here!

I think a fall trail ride at Bluff Point will be a new tradition for Connecticut Morgan Horse Association!

No comments:

Post a Comment